BUILDING INSPECTOR II, PERMANENT
Closing Date: January 18, 2018
Department: Engineering & Development Services
File Number: SV17-130
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., plus overtime as required
Salary: $31.55 - $36.43 per hour
- Examines plans and specifications submitted for compliance with statutory provisions, standards and procedures set out in the Ontario Building Code and municipal by-laws.
- Issues permits and inspects work pursuant to permits for conformity with all applicable statutes and procedures, and provides technical knowledge and advice regarding statutory provisions, regulations and by-laws affecting such matters.
- Assumes certain responsibilities with respect to enforcing by-laws and other statutes related to buildings and properties.
- Two years’ experience in enforcement of the Ontario Building Code and Act through the conducting of plans reviews and on-site inspections of buildings to confirm compliance with the regulations, related applicable law and by-laws.
- Two year college diploma in engineering or architectural technology, or equivalent training and experience.
- Qualified by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in the following areas as identified in the Ontario Building Code: House, HVAC House and Plumbing House, including completion of the General Legal Process Examination. PLUS: Small Buildings, Large Buildings, Plumbing All Buildings, Building Services, Building Structural, and On-site Sewage systems.
- CBCO certification through the Ontario Building Officials Association or capable of being certified within reasonable time.
- Ability to comprehend the workings of various municipal by-laws (i.e. zoning, property standards, signs, fence).
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and interpret complex drawings illustrating buildings and structures.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management, research, communication, problem solving, customer service, record keeping and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work effectively in a stressful environment and handle confrontational situations with tact, diplomacy and professionalism.
- Excellent verbal and written skills; ability to illustrate concepts in graphic format.
- Computer literacy skills including data entry, database searches, use of email.
- Valid driver’s license and access to vehicle required.
Apply By Email:
Personal information and any supporting material will be administered in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). We thank all applicants who apply but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Belleville is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Division to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.
Applicants will be required to provide at their own expense a satisfactory criminal reference check dated within the past six (6) months and if deemed a requirement of the position, a driver’s abstract to the Human Resources Department on or before the date of the interview but no later than the commencement of employment if selected.