15 Market Street (Memorial Arena)
15 Market Street, Belleville, ON K8N 2Y7
All of Lots 18, 19 and 20, west side of Pinnacle Street, Government Plan, City of Belleville, County of Hastings Save and Except
April 3, 2003; By-Law #2003-47
The Memorial Arena has played a significant role in Belleville's sports history for over 70 years. It is situated next to the historic market and was built in 1929 and was to be a smaller version of the well-known Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens but was modified. This building was purchased by the City in 1946 and was renamed in 1947 "The Memorial Arena" from the "Hume Arena" as a dedication to those who died in the war.
Many famous hockey players have played hockey here and was home to the 1958 Allan Cup Senior Hockey League and the 1959 World Champions "The Belleville MacFarlands".
More information on file including newspaper clippings.