159-161 George Street
159 George Street, Belleville, ON K8N 1C2
Part of Lot 4, Lot 5 east of George Street, Part 4 to 5. West of William Street, Plan 1
February 17, 1986; Residence By-Law #11887
Built 1873. The wood used to build the house contained no knots. Above impressive double doors of carved wood, with wood panelling at sides and top, is a pair of double hung windows. The north side features a projecting two storey bay with a string course above the ground floor windows. On the south side a projecting five window bay on the ground floor has carved wood panelling above the windows. Above this the second storey window has an arched lintel. Lintels and sills on the front are dressed stone. The south side has a gable with wood trim. On the north side, wooden brackets support the hipped roof of the bay. North and south facades are gabled with bargeboards and wood trim with pendants at the peaks. On each side is a four flue chimney. The coach house at the rear is a two storied brick building with a gabled roof.
On the west front the two storey projection is all that remains of a four storey Tuscan tower (see inset above). A veranda on the south side and an entrance porch have also been removed.
Photographs of exterior and interior of house, newspaper clippings, correspondence from City of Belleville and LACAC.