160 Front Street (Cablevue Facade)
160 Front Street, Belleville, ON K8N 2Y7
Lots 28 and 29, west of Front Street, Hasletts's Plan, designated as Part 1, Plan 21R 8652
October 30, 1989; Easement By-Law #12803
Built in 1872, reflective of the Renaissance Revival style. The facade was a three storey brick building having a masonry arcade across the front at the street level as well as heavy stone quoining at both ends. The facade had a six window section to the north, then a central single window bay with a first level carriage way through to the rear of the lot, and a seven window southern section. The three-part division was expressed by two large brick pilasters running through the second and third storey. Heavy string courses of stone across the facade at each ceiling level gave horizontal articulation.
he building has been associated with the news and printing business since its completion, publishing the Daily and Weekly Ontario newspapers since 1870 until 1965 when the Ontario Intelligencer moved to its new site.
Numerous newspaper clippings, file #1. Photographs, Proposal for Restoration of Building Facade by Bel-Con Engineering, plans, sketches, correspondence from M.W. Hall Corp., Teddington Ltd., Andre Schneiman (Heritage Preservation Consultant), City of Belleville, LACAC, file #2. History of property, file #2.