169 Front Street (City Hall)
169 Front Street, Belleville, ON K8N 2Y7
Lot 5, Registered Plan No. 139
Late Victorian Gothic
September 10, 1979; By-Law #10672
Built in 1873. The tower walls below the clock face and pointed arch bell openings, are pierced by only one tiny window per side. This is in high contrast to any other section of the building. There is a clock face on each side of the tower as well as a double-arched opening to expose the bells. The clock faces are enclosed in gables. The tower has a steeply pitched straight sided mansard roof with cast iron roof cresting. There is a single gabled dormer on each side of the roof centered above the clock faces. The City Hall tower may be termed the finest thing of its kind in Canada, next to the Peace Tower in Ottawa, and of course is fully recognized for its importance as a landmark and symbol of the city. The tower is somewhat French Gothic in feeling. The body of the City Hall, by contrast, has perhaps a more Venetian Gothic look.
The main body of the building is two and a half storeys in height and made completely of brick. The upper half storey consists of a mansard roof with dormers on the sides of the building. The dormers are aligned above the second storey windows, one dormer centered above each pair of lower windows. The second storey windows are fine examples of Gothic Revival windows, tall and narrow with high pointed tops and mullions dividing the windows in two with simple tracery in the arches.
City Hall was Belleville's first official heritage asset. This building which has served since 1873 and continues to be the centre of Municipal Government for the City of Belleville is considered to be a monument of architectural and historical significance. Below is a photograph of City Hall before restoration.
On file, numerous newspaper articles, photographs, blueprints, plans for restoration, more information on description of architectural style (3 files).