173 William Street
173 William Street, Belleville, ON K8N 1M4
Lot 6 east of William Street and part of Lot A, east of William Street, and part of Lots 6 and A, west of Ann Street, Registered
December 16, 1985; Residence By-Law #11843
Built 1851, this brick building is two storeys high and has a hipped roof. The facade of the house oriented west, is divided into three bays. On the first floor there is a centred entrance under a trellis verandah and this is flanked on each side by one sash window with 2/3 panes and segmental brick arches. On the second floor there are three windows with the same characteristics, except that the middle window is set in a square stepped-in arcade-type. Also, on the facade, still visible, are marks of an old verandah. The house has a simple wood cornice supported by wood brackets. The existence of a simple wood frieze can still be seen. In the backyard there is a carriage house with a gable roof. The carriage house is constructed of brick, and is one and a half storeys high. It has two large round-head entrances.
The first owner of this house was Merrick Sawyer who owned a drug store on Front Street.
Photographs, correspondence and documentation on file.