180 Coleman Street (Billa Flint House)
180 Coleman Street, Belleville, ON K8P 3H3
Part Lot 38, Part 1 on Reference Plan of Survey 21R-13861
May 14, 1990; Residence By-Law #12910
Built in 1835; two storey brick house with a three bay facade with the entrance in the left-hand bay. The front doorway opening was obviously wide enough for side lights but the sides have been narrowed with modern brick. Investigation inside shows that these side spaces were blind; perhaps occupied by panelling or more likely by half-columns. The roof shows four thick places in the parapet ends, like the bases of chimneys, but no trace of flues visible in the rooms. All four have been reconstructed to restore the house's skyline. Window glazing, 12 over 12, appears to be the original in the three upper front windows and at lower right. Old maps show at least two different kitchen wings on the back in different configurations. There was only one opening on the south side of the main block originally.
Billa Flint was a general merchant in Belleville in 1829, and also established a large lumbering business at the mouth of the Moira River. Billa Flint was President of the Belleville Police Board in 1836, was Reeve of Elzevir Township for 21 years and Mayor of Belleville for 3 years, and Warden of Hastings County in 1873. From 1847 until his death in 1894 he represented the area in the Canadian government, becoming a Senator in 1867.
Numerous newspaper articles and legal documentation on file