logo


21 Queen Street (Bell-Riggs House)

Municipal Address:
21 Queen Street, Belleville, ON K8N 1T1

Legal Description:
Municipal No. 21 Queen Street, City of Belleville Plan 296, LL PT

Type:
Italiante-Victorian "Tuscan Villa"

Date Designated:
December 16, 1985; Residence By-Law #11842

Built in 1855. The Italianate Tower is over the entrance, but is off-centre to the plan of the whole building. The Italianate is also emphasized in the round headed windows on three sides of the tower, the round headed entrance and west side doorways, and the scrolled brackets to the eaves all around. The original 12 pane windows have flat arches of brick and were originally shuttered. The oriol window over the entrance was a later change. The front and west side verandahs were installed probably in the 1890's with the verandah posts and fretted brackets of the late Victorian fashion. About 1890 a portico was erected over the front entrance, with classical details including a bracketed pediment, and a handsome doorcase with side pilasters and a round arched fanlight of red stained glass.

Miscellaneous:

John Bell, solicitor for Grand Trunk Railway built this home around 1855. W.B. Riggs owned the home from 1881. He opened a music store on Front Street about 1888 selling pianos, then in 1914 sold Ford automobiles. 

Other Information:

More information on house and history of owners is on file.

Copyright 2015 City of Belleville. All Rights Reserved. Site by They.