237 Front Street (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce)
237 Front Street, Belleville, ON K8N 2Z4
Part of Lot 4, Registered Plan No. 22
January 14, 1980; By-Law #10772
Built in 1916, a three storey brick and stone structure, built in the classical Victorian Italianate style. The present day structure remains very similar to the original one, with the exception that the awnings have been removed from the windows. In 1930 and again in 1944 the Bank built additions onto the original structure. In the fall of 1978 the interior renovations were started and completed in the spring of 1979.
The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce is Belleville's only original remaining bank structure, as well as the oldest established bank, having celebrated its centennial with the City of Belleville.
Newspaper clippings, blueprints, copy of City By-Law, correspondence re renovations on file.