257 Bridge Street East (Glanmore National Historic Site of Canada)
257 Bridge Street East, Belleville, ON K8N 1P4
Lots 4, 5 and 6, south of Bridge Street, all of Lot 37, east side of Dufferin Avenue, Part of Lot 38, east side of Dufferin Aven
April 1, 1985; Residence By-Law #11672
Glanmore was completed in 1883 for John Philpot Curran Phillips. The building was designed by Thomas Hanley, a Belleville architect who was born in Read.
This impressive yellow brick house reflects the architectural style of the eclectic Second Empire. It features an irregular shape, with bay windows and projections; iron cresting outlining the main roof; a coloured, fish-scale pattern of slates on the concave mansard roof; wide eaves supported on carved brackets, and the original wooden eavestroughs. Stone trimmed windows and doorways have semi-circular and elliptical heads, and wood trim ornaments the semi circular heads of the dormers windows. The interior is outstanding in that it retains an unusually complete amount of the original detailing of a highly ornate Victorian style. Important are the elaborate and detailed woodwork, cornices, painted ceilings, window and door treatments, fireplaces and overmantle
This impressive home was completed in 1883 for Mr. John Philpot Curran Phillips, descendant of a distinguished Irish family and an important figure in banking and financial affairs in Belleville, Mr. Phillips willed the house to his daughter Jessie, who lived in it with her husband Sandford Burrowes. One of their two daughters, Phillips, continued to live in the house after her marriage to Dr. George Falkner, until the late 1960's.
In 1971, Glanmore was bought by the City of Belleville and the County of Hastings for a museum. After certain structural restorations, it opened to the public in July 1973. It was designated a National Historic Site by the National Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Parks Canada (a commemorative plaque recognizes this designation.)