Dundas Street East (Kinsmen Park)
151 Dundas Street East, Belleville, ON K8N 1C3
Part of Lots 32 and 33, south of Dundas Street East and Part of Lots 34 and 36, Haslett's and Carre's Plan, City of Belleville,
June 17, 1991; By-Law #13119
Designated under the guidelines of the Ontario Heritage Act for the preservation and commemoration of the site. The area will remain a public playground with the current programs undisturbed. This was the first designated cemetery in Belleville under the Ontario Heritage Act of 1974.
The Dundas Street East burying ground was consecrated on March 3, 1828 as one of Belleville's first cemeteries. Old surveys and registered land plans shows a lot marked "WM burying grounds", presumably meaning Wesleyan Methodist. In 1872 when the Belleville Cemetery on Dundas Street West was opened, it is speculated that bodies could have been transferred there and the cemetery ritually closed by the Wesleyan Methodist congregation. Belleville Cemetery did not keep precise records prior to 1895, therefore there are no records of any such transfers, leaving the only way to tell by identifying names on aged gravestones.
In 1916 the land was sold to Francis and Mary O'Flynn by the City for tax arrears by the owner of the ground. The O'Flynn's in turn sold the land back to the City in 1925 to preserve the property for use as a public park or "open breathing space". In the early 1950's the land was leased to the Kinsmen Club who have established and maintained the site as a children's playground until this day.
However, it is presumed that many of our earliest settlers are buried there and that the part they played in establishing the City of Belleville as very important.
Newspaper clippings on file; Notice of the Passing of a Zoning By-Law by The Corporation of the City of Belleville