Garbage & Recycling
The City of Belleville operates a User-Pay Garbage system. Citizens must purchase a $2.50 garbage tag and affix it to each garbage item set to the curb for weekly collection as per BY-LAW NO. 98-175 (PDF).
Residents are asked to place their garbage and recycling at a reasonable distance to the curb to ensure collection, and to avoid blocking sidewalks for pedestrians, or creating potential driving hazards.
Tuesday - West of Moira
Friday - East of Moira
Thursday - Thurlow
Tuesday & Friday - Downtown
**Items to be set to curb by 7:00 am on collection days**
Special Notices will be posted to this site, if a Statutory Holiday modifies the regular garbage collection schedule.
Rules & Guidelines
Disposable bags should be tightly sealed and not weigh more than 50 pounds.
Garbage cans or containers should be reusable galvanized metal or plastic, not more than 17 gallons (77 litres) or 75 pounds in weight, with carrying handles and a secure, water tight lid.
The top item inside the container must display a current bag tag visible to the collector when he removes the lid.
White goods cannot be included in regular garbage pickup. Arrangements for pickup must be made at City Hall.
The bag tag should be looped around the neck of the bag and have it meet at the end producing a little "flag".
City of Belleville should be displayed on one side and the bag tag number on the other side. Please do not twist the tag around the garbage bag as it appears that the tag has been split in half and the waste collector may refuse collection.
Cardboard boxes should be closed and sealed, not more than 24"x24"x42" in size and not weigh more than 50 pounds. Ensure the bag tag is visible to the collector on the outside of the box.
The City of Belleville is a member of Quinte Waste Solutions, the operating name for the Centre and South Hasting Waste Services Board, which oversees the blue box recycling service for the City. Please visit quinterecycling.org
for information on the blue box program including information on what materials are accepted in the blue box, how to sort your recyclables, when your collection day is and much more.
Purchase Bag Tags
Maximum lifts per week
Belleville Ward: 6
Thurlow Ward: 10
* 8 on Tues, 8 on Friday
Each bag or container of garbage counts as one lift.
Thurlow Ward Landfill
1320 Mudcat Road
1. The hours of operation for the Thurlow Waste Disposal Site are: Wednesdays & Saturdays – 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
2. No “Household Hazardous Waste” will be accepted at the landfill site.
3. No person(s) shall dispose of garbage at the landfill site unless such garbage is generated within the boundaries of Thurlow Ward, City of Belleville.
4. All garbage must be separated at the waste disposal site in accordance with the instructions of the Waste Disposal Site Operator or his designated authority.
5. Permits for disposal of asphalt shingles must be obtained at the Public Works-Yards’ office, 75 Wallbridge Crescent, Belleville. The permit must be submitted to the Waste Site Operator or his designate when entering the landfill.
6. Building material WILL NOT be accepted at the waste site, i.e., manufactured wood; drywall; insulation.
7. Rims must be removed from tires prior to disposal at site.
8. All brush must be cut in lengths no longer than 6 feet.
|Utility Trailer, car, ½ ton (level) truck||$ 21.00 per load|
|Single Axle Dump Truck||$ 79.00 per load|
|Tandem Dump Truck||$131.00 per load|
|Tractor Trailer||NOT PERMITTED|
Shingle Disposal Rates:
|½ Ton Load (level with box)||$0.53/cubic foot|
|¾ Ton Load (level with box)||$0.53/cubic foot|
|Single Axle Load||$0.53/cubic foot|
Tipping Fee – Large Items:
Appliances, televisions, chesterfields, chairs,
microwaves, toilets, sinks & bathtubs
|Galvanized cold water tank||$10.50 each|
|Hot Water Tank||$10.50 each|
|Box Spring & Mattress||$ 5.25 each|
|Passenger Tires (minus rims)Passenger Tires (minus rims)||No Charge|
|Truck Tires (minus rims)||No Charge|
|Tractor Tires (minus rims)||No Charge|
|Tire Tubes||No Charge|
NOTE: An additional $15.00 surcharge will apply when items contain freeon, i.e., refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and have not been tagged by a certified person to be empty of refrigerant.