Closed Meeting Investigator
Municipal Closed Meeting Investigator Process
The City of Belleville is committed to ensuring that any request for an investigation under Section 239 of the Municipal Act, 2001 as amended (the Act) is dealt with in a fair, open and expeditious manner.
The municipality commits to full co-operation including the provision of all information requested by the Municipal Closed Meeting Investigator (Investigator), either written or through interviews, to assist the Investigator in his investigations.
The municipality commits to including any report received from the Investigator related to an investigation under the Act, on a public agenda and to considering such report in an open public session of Council.
Information on the Closed Meeting Investigator process is available from the City Clerk's Department, 169 Front Street, Belleville ON; or by contacting the City Clerk's Department at 613-968-6481 or through e-mail: email@example.com.
The Closed Meeting Investigator process applies to all appointed Boards, committees and sub-committees of the municipality with the exception of the Police Services Board and the Public Library Board.
Members of the public, including corporations, may submit a request to investigate to the Investigator relating to compliance with the Act or the Municipal Procedure By-law for meetings or part of meetings that are closed to the public.
All requests will be treated as confidential, unless authorization is given by the requestor to release his or her identity.
Request forms can completed on line and printed or downloaded from the City website and are available in the Clerk's Department together with an envelope addressed to the Investigator and identified as a "Request for Investigation" under Section 239 of the Act.
Requests may be submitted on the Request form or otherwise in writing either:
By delivery to the municipal Clerk in a sealed envelope clearly identified as a Request for Investigation under Section 239 of the Municipal Act
By mail directly to:
Amberley Gavel Ltd.
35 Amberside Drive
London, ON N6G 4M3
All requests must contain:
- Name of Municipality
- Requestor's name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address (if applicable)
- Date of Closed Meeting under consideration
- Nature and Background of the particular occurrence
- Any activities undertaken (if any) to resolve the concern
- Any other relevant information
- Direction with respect to release of identity
- Original signature
When requests are submitted directly to the Clerk, the Clerk shall follow the following procedures:
- Take all measurers to ensure the envelope remains sealed and its contents remain confidential;
- Assign a file number and record file number on the envelope;
- Log the file number together with the date and time received;
- Forward, forthwith to the Municipal Investigator by regular mail.
For all requests the municipality shall supply forthwith the following or any other information or documentation as requested by the Investigator related to a request:
- Certified copy of Notice of Meeting
- Certified copy of Agenda
- Certified copy of Minutes of Meeting
- Relevant Resolutions
- Municipal contact list