Licensing and Certificates

Marriage License Requirements

The application forms for marriage licenses can be obtained in the Municipal Clerk's Department or online. Download the Ontario Marriage License Application form. Complete the form in its entirety. Bring the completed form and all information/documentation required by the Government of Ontario to City Hall between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm:

  1. The completed form MUST have signatures from both applicants. If applicable, an original divorce certificate or a COURT CERTIFIED COPY must be presented. Where the divorce is in a language other than English, a certified translation from someone other than one of the applicants is required. These documents will be returned to the applicants. IF YOU ARE DIVORCED, we are required to examine and record the court file number of the original or court-certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce. A divorce judgment will not be accepted. Any divorce(s) granted outside of Canada requires special authorization from the Province BEFORE the marriage license application can be processed by the municipal licensing officer. If the divorce was granted outside Canada, please consult the Clerk's department for further details. Foreign Divorce RequirementsStatement of Sole Responsibility.
  2. We are required to examine two pieces of original identification, the first being a birth certificate, any change of name certificates, current passport, Record of Immigrant Landing or Canadian citizenship card as proof of identity ALONG WITH photo identification (i.e. VALID driver's license or photo health card) for BOTH parties to the intended marriage. Applicants age 16 and 17 require both parents' consent. Persons under 16 years are not permitted to marry.
  3. It is strongly encouraged that BOTH applicants attend to obtain a marriage license. If both parties cannot attend, the application form MUST be signed by both parties. One person can then obtain this license if they bring in two pieces of identification for each applicant (as described above) including photo identification (i.e. driver's license or photo health card).
  4. Fee for the Marriage Licence is $125.00, and it is valid for ninety (90) days anywhere within the Province of Ontario.

Marriage Certificates

Marriage Certificates are only issued by the Government of Ontario and all applications must be completed and submitted directly to their offices.  Newly married applicants are advised to wait 6-8 weeks following the marriage to apply for their Marriage Certificate.

Marriage Certificate Application Form

Paper Marriage Certificate Application - This form requires mailing to the Province for processing.


Birth Registration

NOTICE- Effective Monday July 27, 2009 at 12 a.m.

The fully electronic Newborn Registration Service will be made available across the province; all Ontario birthing hospitals and midwife practice groups will be able to submit the Notice of Live Birth form electronically to Service Ontario's office of the Registrar General.  As a result the City of Belleville will no longer be involved in the live birth registration process.

Birth Certificate Applications are available from City Hall, 169 Front Street or in a printer friendly "PDF" format with the link below.  All applications must be forwarded directly to the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay (address provided on the reverse of the form). The Ministry of Consumer and Business Affairs has now imposed stricter guidelines on those applying for birth certificates.

In order to obtain a birth certificate, applicants are now required to provide the signature of a guarantor. New revised birth certificate application forms are now available at all municipal offices. Section # 5 of the form must be filled out by a guarantor.  There are very specific instructions and provisions about who is eligible to act as a guarantor. These provisions are included on the reverse side of the form.

For your convenience, you may apply for Birth Certificates on-line and track the progress of the application through the following Government of Ontario links below:

On-line Birth Certificate application

On-line Tracking site

Paper Birth Certificate Application - This form requires mailing to the Province for processing.

Death Certificates

Death Certificates may be obtained by completing the printer-friendly form below. You may either send the form directly to the Ministry with the appropriate application fee for processing, or you may contact your local municipal licensing office to locate the processing office nearest you.

Death Certificates Application Form - This form requires mailing to the Province for processing.

Lottery Licensing Information

Lottery Licensing Information

In the Province of Ontario, municipalities are partners with The Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO) in issuing lottery licenses to eligible charitable and religious organizations. Please refer to the AGCO website  for further information on Charitable Lottery Licensing.

For further information regarding lottery licensing, including applications, terms and conditions and other requirements contact:

Lottery Licensing Officer
City of Belleville
169 Front Street, 1st Floor
Belleville, ON K8N 2Y8
Telephone: 613-968-6481

Copyright 2020 City of Belleville. All Rights Reserved. Site by They.