220 Station Street (Grand Trunk Railway Protection)
220 Station Street, Belleville, ON K8N 3W8
220 Station Street - C.N.R. Station - Grand Trunk Railway
Of English design, and considered an outstanding period piece of Canadian railway architecture.
Designated by the Federal Historical Sites and Monuments Board of Parks Canada, July 1, 1982
Built 1856. Cut stone structure with dormers and arched windows.
Belleville has always had a close tie with the Grand Trunk Railway, now a part of the Canadian National Railway system. John Bell of Belleville was the first solicitor of the Grand Trunk Railway and played an important role in shaping the company's policies. During the years of construction, Belleville was a surveying and contracting centre, and in 1855 the town was named an official divisional point, a small switching yard being laid out. By 1864, about one hundred persons were employed at the shops and yards and the station was described as one of the most profitable on the line. The Grand Trunk operations at Belleville continued to expand, and this centre and Brockville remained the divisional points on the 335 miles of main line from Montreal to Toronto. Later, employment would pass the 1,000 mark and Belleville would become the headquarters of the CNR Rideau District.
More history on file. Also, there is a plaque file on this building.