45-47 South Front Street (McIntosh-Ridley House)
45 South Front Street, Belleville, ON K8N 2Y3
Lot 9 and Part of Lots 8 and 10 west of Pinnacle Street according to registered "Government Plan" known municipally as 45-47 Sou
Early Loyalist Style
September 26, 1983; Residence By-Law #11365
Built 1817. This early building is of post and beam construction. To the big square timbers of the frame, clapboard was nailed on the outside and hand split lath on the inside. The space between was filled with bricks and mortar. The fireplace, with its bake oven, is still in place in the kitchen wing at the back. The original front door with side lights is still intact under the present stucco. The house is the keystone of at least one dozen early buildings still existing from the harbour front settlement.
Building finishing 1817 by Martha McIntosh, daughter of United Empire Loyalist Ruliph Ostrum and widow of Captain John McIntosh, who died in 1815.
File #1: More detail on the house and its owners, Historical and Architectural Significance, newspaper clippings. File #2: Acquisition Campaign, surveys, correspondence.