Property Tax Rebate & Credit Programs
Tax Rebate Programs
- Charity Rebate
- Application for Seniors Property Tax Credit 2019
- Application for ODSP Property Tax Credit 2019
This rebate program applies to registered charities that occupy a property in the commercial or industrial class. The applying organization must be a “registered” charity under the Income Tax Act (Canada), and as such possess a valid Canada Customs & Revenue Agency BN/ Registration Number or a Non-Profit Organization as defined in the Income Tax Act (Canada). The landlord of a tenant charity may be contacted by the charity to obtain certain information required to process the rebate application. The deadline to submit applications for the 2019 taxation year is February 28, 2019. Charity Rebate Applications may be downloaded or are available at the Customer Service Area, First floor, City Hall.
Please note all rebate applications must be submitted by mail or hand delivered. Faxed copies are no longer accepted.
Property Tax Credit Programs - Application for 2019
Low Income Senior Property Tax Credit - 2019
This program provides a credit to anyone in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement under the Old Age Security Act (Canada) and are sixty-five years of age or older by December 31, 2018. The deadline to submit applications for the 2018 taxation year is August 30, 2018. Low Income Senior Property Tax Credit Applications may be downloaded or are available at the Customer Service Area, First floor, City Hall. Applications must be made on a yearly basis.
Disabled Person Property Tax Credit – Application for 2019
This program provides a credit to anyone in receipt of Ontario Disability Support Program Benefits maximum shelter allowance. The deadline to submit applications for the 2019 taxation year is August 30, 2019. Disabled Person Property Tax Credit Applications may be downloaded or are available at the Customer Service Area, First floor, City Hall. Applications must be made on a yearly basis.
Please note Applicants must solely own and occupy the property as their principal residence.
Vacant Unit Program
Pending Ministry approval the City of Belleville’s Vacant Unit Rebate Program will be phased-out over 2 years. The City will be accepting applications for the 2017 and 2018 taxation years only. The program would be eliminated effective for the 2019 taxation year.
Council has approved the following changes for the Vacant Unit Rebate Program for the 2017 & 2018 Taxation Years as part of their review of the program:
- 2018 Applications: The Industrial and Commercial rebates will be reduced to 15%
The eligibility criteria for the 2018 applications include:
- capable of being leased for immediate occupation;
- properties must be in full compliance with the City’s property standards;
- must provide a marketing plan for the vacant portion of the property.
The City of Belleville offers Commercial and Industrial property owners rebates on taxes for all or portions of their properties that have been vacant during the year. The following are the program details.
Only two applications can be submitted per year per property. Interim applications must be received by July 31st.
Final applications must be received by the last day of February of the year following the taxation year to which the application relates.
- Application may be submitted by the owner or by a person representing the owner.
- Applications may be subject to an onsite audit and inspection.
- Any person who knowingly makes a false or deceptive statement in this application is guilty of an offence and, upon conviction, is liable for a fine.
- To be eligible for a rebate, a building or portion of a building must satisfy the conditions described in the eligibility criteria.
- The application must be completed and all required information provided. The onus is on the applicant to provide documentation to support their vacancy rebate application. Failure to provide the above documentation may result in the rejection of the rebate application.
If you require help in completing the application form or have questions regarding the Vacant Unit Rebate Program, please contact the City of Belleville Taxation Department at 613-967-3243
Please click here for all tax related form downloads.